Friday, March 20, 2009

Mission to save

So I'm on a mission to save for my trip. The obvious challenge is not spending money I normally would spend them on.

When you think about these things it becomes amazing how much you spend on relatively useless items.

For instance I quit smoking, a habit that for 8 odd years was costing me on average 10 bucks a week, which is a very low estimate I assure you. that's at least $4o00 I would have spent on smokes alone. Not much over that long, I mean c'mon.

Anyway, I've tried to narrow my spending to just $200 between paycheques. That HAS to include gas, food, and anything else I happen to want or need and expenses that come up.

Right now I've already spent $40 on a money order for my pardon application. I was paid today so I have 14 days to live off of $160 bucks.

Normally that'd be alright, but I also have to pay for everything I do. (I know adults all do this, but I'm new to it alright?)

So basically, I can already earmark, around $80 on food, probably $20-$40 for gas, thanks to stable $0.80/litre gas, and that leaves me with about $40 of discretionary money.

Everything else I earn goes towards savings, paying down debt and monthly expenses, like insurance, rent, heating and electricity.

So, that's how it is. I'm not complaining, a lot of people have to do a lot more with a lot less and sometimes have kids in their too, so kudos to them.

Anyway, I'm on a tight budget for a world expedition, so I figure it's worth it.

On travel, I watched the movie Into the Wild.

Jist: guy says FTW, becomes a travelling bum, ends up in Alaska. just givn'r out there. He brings ten pounds of rice and gun and that's it.

I don't want to ruin the story, but if you look it up, let's just say there was a bridge 1/4 mile north of where he stopped.

Anyway... these posts are probably a little boring, so feel free to ignore them until I have more interesting, travel related things to write about. I just figured I'd chronicle all this stuff, so i could look back from the beginning.

As time goes I'll add more photos from my preparations and that should make it at least interesting

see ya

No comments: