Monday, June 15, 2009

Happy bday to me!


My birthday was on Saturday. I was on boat with my buddy Bryan Hall, his wife Melissa and someonther people whose names I can't immediately remember. It was a good time.

When I came back, I noticed my car had been hit. Weak. (I'll post a picture soon). It's the perfect time to point out why I'm glad that my first goal was to save $2000 as an emergency fund so I wouldn't all of a sudden be out of all my savings for my trip.

As you can see on the side menu, I've made it up to $1000. Modest I know, and it did take a while, but I count all victories as such so woot, $1000! 1/10th of the way there! Now I have 10 paycheques, from which I save about $500 each, plus money from my dental insurance, and some other random monies some in. Bam $10,000. And if I'm short I'm really not too worried because I've been learning about other ways to make money while abroad, which I'll discuss as they become appropriate in later posts.

Anyway, back to why saving money was important. When I came back to my car, there were conflicting reports about what had happened. The person who put their phone number on my car told me that they didn't do it. I don't really know how to prove it either way, so I just claimed it through insurance. That's why I pay $170 a month, to claim things?

Anyway, that's in the process and I'll let you know what happens.

But if it wasn't for my savings I'd be severly in the hole once all the repair costs and deductibles come through. Thankfully I saved $2000 with ING Direct, and I got them to send me a debit card, which I keep under lock and key and can now whip it out for these repairs. Woot.

But yeah, that was my birthday. Other than that, I'm still along way off from talking about anything interesting related to that trip, ALTHOUGH this week, I'm going to the city to look at backpacks and boots and some other stuff.

So stay frosty...

No comments: